Friday, March 27, 2009

Birding has its Rewards

I was birding the other day and came across a Wood Duck. I watched as the Wood Duck mucked in the cattails at the far edge of the un-frozen swamp for sometime. I was hoping that it would move closer so I could get a good photo. Wood Ducks are one of my favorites and I think the most difficult to get a good image of because of the contrast between of all the light and dark colors. I'm always excited when I find a woody and ever hopeful that this may be the time I get a signature image. But it wasn't going to be today because the woody was just staying back in the reeds, feeding. Oh well, the next time.

As I was walking back to my car, I noticed something moving out of the corner of my eye. A quick look through my binoculars and I could see that it was a Muskrat and it was heading my way. Using my car as a blind I was able to watch and photograph the Muskrat as it foraged around on the open waters of the swamp looking for food, unaffected by my presence. Watching this little guy go about his business without a care in the world was one of those magic moments that is a side benefit of birdwatching .
Ahhhh, The rewards of birdwatching!

Peter

Equipment used: Canon 40 d with a EF 400 f5.6 lens hand held

All Rights reserved, © 2009 Peter Manship

No comments: