Friday, March 6, 2009

Ring-necked Pheasant in East Shoreham Vt.

After having had a beautiful day of birding I was headed home on the Richville rd when I saw the unmistakable bright red and gold of a Ring-necked Pheasant in a thicket just down the hill from the East Shoreham cemetery. (Richville road east) By the time I got my car turned around the bird had moved to the other side of the road. It took me a few minutes to re-locate it hiding in a larger group of bushes were it was not giving up very good looks. A noise truck passing spooked the bird and it took to the wing in classic pheasant on the run manner.
This bird was calling loudly as if trying to locate another bird (female maybe) and it's coloring was just fabulous, bright red head, golden browns to rufous against the snow covered background, just beautiful. What a great way to end a day of birding.

Peter

P.S. I was informed that not to fare from where I found the pheasant there is a private pheasant hunting business that on occasion a few luck birds escape from. It was a beautiful sight out in the natural environment......alive

story and images © 2009 Peter Manship

No comments: